Thursday 31 March 2016

Series Update || 1st Quarter


I am terrible at finishing series. I really am. So back in 2014 I participated in the Seriously Series Challenge to try and keep myself accountable. It was good to keep track of what I'd started and what I wanted to finish in the year.

Sadly, the official challenge is no longer running. But I kept my Series Page up so I could keep track on my own. My plan is to do an update post like this every three months to see how things are moving along.

So, let's see how January-March worked out!

Continuing Seriesaka I only need to read a few books/new releases

Starbound by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner 
  • Their Fractured Light 
Heralds of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey
  • Arrow's Flight

New Series

Memoirs of Lady Trent by Marie Brennan
  • A Natural History of Dragons
The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin
  • The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
The Paradox Trilogy by Rachel Bach
  • Fortune's Pawn
  • Honor's Knight
The Illuminae Files by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff 
  • Illuminae
The Captive Prince Trilogy by C.S. Pacat 
  • Captive Prince
  • Prince's Gambit
  • Kings Rising
The Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling (sort of)
  • Luck in the Shadows
  • Stalking Darkness
  • Traitor's Moon
  • Glimpses (short stories)

Summary
All right, let me start off by explaining the "sort of" above. Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series is like, 7 books currently, I think? And I'm not sure if I'm going to continue it or not. The first three form a nice self-contained trilogy. And Glimpses tied up some loose ends as well. And given the summary of book 4... well, I'm not sure. I went into some detail in my Series Review, so you can read about it there, if you want.

I only have one book to read in both the Heralds of Valdemar and Paradox trilogies. And I'm caught up on The Illuminae Files until the second book is released in the fall.

I'm considering putting the Inheritance trilogy on hold... I had book 2 out from the library and didn't have much desire to read it, so I took it back. They're companion novels anyway? And I mostly read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms because I wanted a taste of Jemisin's writing before picking up her latest release. So we'll see.

I absolutely devoured the Captive Prince trilogy as well. I read Kings Rising in one sitting and regret NOTHING. Also, despite my lukewarm feelings about continuing the series, I really adored the Nightrunner books and characters. It's hard to believe I didn't know anything about the characters before February!

As for the rest of it, well, it's fairly self-explanatory, yes? I really need to get on some series rereads though, since I haven't even touched that category yet. But overall, I think it's going fairly well!

What series are you reading or finishing right now? Let's chat in the comments!