Tuesday 2 February 2016

Top 10 Tuesday || Settings I'd Like To See


Top 10 Tuesday is, as always, brought to you by The Broke and The Bookish. This week: Settings You'd Like To See.

1. The French Revolution
I just adore this time period. It's one of my favourites. And there's no shortage of conflict here... so I think it would make a really compelling setting.

2. Non-Western Historical Fiction/Fantasy
And by this, I mean, not set in Europe or feature non-white characters. I recently read a steampunk anthology and my favourite stories were the ones that really twisted the genre and expectations. What was going on in parts of Africa? Or the Middle East? Or Asia? I want to read those stories, especially if we get a fantastical twist on things.

3. Non-Medieval Inspired Fantasy
I really like medieval-esque fantasy, don't get me wrong, but like #2, I'm ready for fresh new ideas. And also like #2 you have to be careful, because white authors writing in these ballparks can sometimes be iffy. (CoughStormdancercough.)

4. Matriarchies
... I'm kind of cheating, is this a setting? WHO CARES. Anyway, I've read some fiction with matriarchal societies, but it too often seems to be exactly the way things are now just with gender roles reversed. Which, okay, can be compelling, but can often fall into the same trope and still sexist traps. I want to see this done well.

5. The Grand Utopia Future In Which Everyone Is Queer
... okay, I'm getting a little tongue-in-cheek now, but shush. I've also mentioned this before, so it shouldn't really be super surprising. Give me all the fiction in all the genres with incidentally queer characters. Where their sexualities and gender-identities are not the set up for a big tragic lesson at the end of the story. But where there are grand adventures and romances that would happen in every other genre book, but these ones just happen to be queer.

If you have any recommendations in ANY of these categories, please give them all to me immediately!

What do you think of my list? Feel free to link your TTT below and let's chat in the comments!