Monday 18 January 2016

Monday Mix || Rubber Ring Mix 2015


The title of this is going to throw people off, so let me explain.

From The Smiths song Rubber Ring:
But don't forget the songs that made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now, and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
I started listening to The Smiths in earnest in 2004. More specifically, my first year of university. And for whatever reason, those lyrics stuck with me. For a number of years, after my spring semester was over and I was getting ready for summer break, I made a lengthy playlist. My "Rubber Ring" playlist--the songs that I'd discovered during that school year that I listened to over and over. Songs that I couldn't believe I'd only just started listening to, because it seemed like I'd known them for so much longer than just one school year. Songs that "saved my life", or at the very least, my sanity.

Music has always been important to me. And though I can't always have it on a background noise any more (or, at least, not if it has lyrics) there are still songs that have shaped my year.

So here's a slightly different Monday Mix for you. A list of songs that I started listening to in 2015 that are important to me.

Ingrid Michaelson - Can't Help Falling in Love

Just a gorgeous and haunting cover. There are a lot of Ingrid Michaelson songs I could put here as well, but this is the one I'm drawn back to over and over.

Alison Krauss - If I Didn't Know Any Better

Sometimes I listen to Songza to help fall asleep--and one night this came on. I haven't been able to stop listening to it since.

Fall Out Boy - Centuries

Catchy as all get out, I always turn up the stereo in my car when this one comes on. 

Bear's Den - Agape

I just adore this song. The chorus just gets me every time.

Walk The Moon - Shut Up and Dance

I really like catchy pop songs, can you tell? There's a reason this is my ringtone.

Sleeping At Last - Light

Picking one song from this collection was really tricky. All of his songs are so gorgeous. Please do yourself a favour and listen to Atlas: Year One in its entirety immediately.

Lord Huron - The Night We Met

I heard this first on a Shepard/Garius mix on 8tracks and immediately fell in love with it. The melody is so haunting and I just cannot get over the perfection of the way the chorus descends with each line.

Taylor Swift - Bad Blood

Aka my favourite music video of all time. But also a song that I will absolutely drop everything in order to dance in my kitchen when it comes on.

Seth Glier feat Crystal Bowersox - If I Could Change One Thing

Another song that came up on Songza as I was trying to fall asleep and I've just never stopped listening to.

Lorde - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

I have a lot of feelings about those characters I was telling you about from high school when I listen to this song. It was pretty much on repeat the last few days of December because I could not get over how well it fit the villain.

Birdy - Words As Weapons

Another Songza discovery. I just love it a lot. It almost made the cut for my "Like Weapons" playlist, for obvious reasons.

Jasmine Thompson - Stay With Me

This cover is just so so good. Just listen to it. Ugh. I adore it.

Elizabeth & the Catapult - Wish I Didn't

(Warning for NSFW language) Another Songza discovery. The first line immediately captivated me and here we are.

Phew! There we go! Hope you enjoy. Let me know what songs you can't stop listening to!