Friday 3 October 2014

Seriously Series Update 3


I'm having a hard time believing we're 3/4 of the way through the year. But that means it's time for another Seriously Series Challenge Update! This is hosted over at Reading the Paranormal.

My current running list can be found here and things continue to truck along. I knew when I started that I'd never get through all the books, but it's nice to have a list of the series I want to be getting through. I've made some additions and omissions over the past few months, because I've picked up series I want to continue and dropped ones that I'm not that keen on.

So!

Series Started Before 2014
I broke this down into two categories: continuing (I need to read a few or the new release) and resuming (I read the first book so long ago I need to start over).

I'm basically a failure at the restarting series side of things, because there are too many other books I want to read. But oh well!

  • The Grisha by Leigh Bardugo
    • Ruin and Rising
(Sadly, I wasn't super thrilled with the ending! It was all right, but I felt like it could've delivered so much more!)


Series Started In 2014
I've sort of slowed down in this category this quarter. It really all boils down to the problem every book lover has, "too many books, not enough time!"
  • Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
    • Ship Breaker
  • Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
    • Falling Kingdoms
  • Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas
    • Throne of Glass
  • The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
    • The 5th Wave
I'm probably going to be dropping the Ship Breaker series, to be honest. I wasn't that keen on book one and despite the fact that it's only a duology, I don't really have any desire to read book 2 any time soon.

Falling Kingdoms was a bit of a disappointment too, actually. Not as bad, because I'll definitely be reading on in the series, but I felt let down. It was trying too hard to be a YA version of A Game of Thrones I think.

I loved Throne of Glass and have heard the series only gets better from here. So I can't wait to continue it. And I'm excited to read The Infinite Sea as well, since that was just released. Though I've heard pretty mixed reviews about it so far....

Overall Results
A lot of first books this quarter and not a lot of completion (save The Grisha trilogy). But a number of next books or series concluders are due out this fall and winter, so hopefully I'll jump on those right away! I'm especially looking forward to the 3rd Raven Cycle book, the conclusion of The Darkest Minds and more of The Lunar Chronicles

What series are you reading right now? How are they going? Any thoughts about these books? Let's chat in the comments!