Tuesday 8 July 2014

Top 10 Tuesday || Blogging Confessions


Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a new category every week!

This week's topic is Top 10 Blogging Confessions. I have 5 book related confessions and the 5 blogging related ones!

1. Paperbacks
I'm just going to get this out of the way and say it first: I don't particularly like hardcover books.

...

I feel like that's a big thing in the book world. But I am a paperback girl through and through. I like the size better (generally--don't give me a chunky mass market, though). I like that I can shove them in my purse. I like holding them better (no pesky dust jacket to worry about!)

2. Cheap-o!
I am a total Scrooge when it comes to buying physical copies of books. I am always canvassing second hand shops and thrift stores for books in good condition. I don't mind if there's a little wear and tear to the book either, so long as the price is right.

3. Scratch & Dent
BUT. There better not be any damage to my brand new book. When I purchase a new copy of a book, I expect it to be in pristine condition. There have been many times where I've put a book back on the shelf at the store because it had some cosmetic damage. (And yes, I will absolutely go through all the duplicates on the shelf to pick the best one before I buy it.)

4. Library Binges
I have a TON of books on my bookshelf, but sometimes I get in these library moods where I just have to take out another ton of books. I have all these books on my shelf to read--and I actually do want to read all of them--but instead I find myself browsing at the library instead. It's like the bookish version of "I don't have anything to wear!"

5. Cover Love (or Hate)
I am the biggest cover judger. I'm so shallow sometimes when it comes to a book. When it's from the library, that doesn't bother me so much--so long as it's one I actually plan on picking up. But when it comes to buying a book, I will definitely sift through to find the best cover. (Side-eyes the US editions of the Mistborn trilogy as a pertinent example--they're just so ugly compared to the UK ones!)

6. Weird Buying Habits
If a book is cheap, or I'm in a spending mood, I tend to pick up books on a whim. But if I don't like the book, I can part with it fairly easily.

When it comes to buying books I've already read, however, I'm much more discerning. I'll only grab a copy if it's a book I've absolutely LOVED. Weird, right?

7. Commenting
I'm a pretty bad commenter, in general. I'm a big time lurker. I read all the posts and watch all the videos, but I rarely comment. I find that I don't think I have anything worthwhile to add. I'm trying to work on interacting more with my fellow bloggers... I want to feel like I'm part of the community, after all!

8. Positive Reviews
I often struggle to write 4- and 5-star reviews. When I dislike a book, it's easy to pick apart the problems I had. When I've enjoyed a book, sometimes the reasons for those feelings are harder for me to quantify. Even in the glowing reviews, I tend to mention minor quibbles. Like why a 4-star book wasn't a 5-star read for me. Or whatever.

9. Scheduling
I have recently discovered the wonder of scheduling and queuing blog posts! It's sort of silly that it took me 6 months to figure it out. I'm a very organized and type-A person by nature, so it's surprising to me that I didn't think to plan to blog like I plan for everything else. What a difference it's made for me now though, I love it!

10. Physical Copy
I'm fully prepared to admit that it may be because I don't have the right one, but I don't particularly like reading on my eReader. I much prefer having a physical book in my hand. I like the feeling of it, the weight. I like being able to flip through and see how many pages are left in the chapter. Or flip ahead and see where the next section break is. I like the physical indicator of my progress when I use my bookmark.

So! There are my blogging confessions. Are they similar to yours? Let's chat in the comments!