Tuesday 17 June 2014

Top 10 Tuesday || Summer TBR


Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a new category every week!

This week's topic is Top 10 books on your summer TBR! I'm going to have to divide this one into a few categories...

Summer New Releases


Ruin and Rising (Grisha #3) by Leigh Bardugo
I'm not sure exactly when I'm going to get my hands on this, as my library is notoriously slow when it comes to acquiring this series... But this is definitely one of my most anticipated summer releases!

Landline by Rainbow Rowell
This is probably the book that I absolutely cannot wait for. I am already on the hold list at the library for this one. Aaaah! Is it July yet?

Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones
Look for more about this book next week as I featured it as a "Waiting on Wednesday" book. But seriously, "X-Men meets Ocean's 11"? Yes please.


High Fantasy


The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) by Patrick Rothfuss
Summer is when I hope to get cracking on a few behemoth books that I've been putting off for some time. I'm hoping the extra leisure time will mean I can devote myself to restarting this monster of a book. Because I remember really enjoying the first handful of pages I read a few years back.

The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson
I desperately want the UK covers (pictured above) for this series. And I am pretty sure I'm going to love this series. But I'm going to take the (ugly US version) first book from the library this summer and give it a go. When I inevitably devour it, I'll take the plunge on Book Depository!


Historical Fantasy


The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker
I've been eyeing this one for a while. I'm really intrigued by the premise here. Again, I'm hoping summer affords me more time to devote to some denser reads.

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
I've had this on my shelf for a while, having bought it second hand a while ago. I'm ready to give it a go, given the theme of my summer reading. Also, I'm trying to go through some standalones on my shelf as well so I don't have to commit to more series.

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente
Another adult standalone from my shelf that I'm ready to give a go. I've heard good things about this one, and I've always loved Russian history and culture, so I'm excited to dive into some of the myths as well.


Science Fiction


Shades of Grey (Shades of Grey #1) by Jasper Fforde
I picked this up cheap on Book Outlet earlier this year and I've been eyeing it on my shelf a lot the past few months. I'm ready to see what Fforde's writing is all about--and I especially love the style this dystopian seems to take.

Steelheart (Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson
Another Sanderson pick, I know. But after reading The Rithmatist recently, I really want to read more of his work. I figure this is a nice trade off from the behemoth that the Mistborn series is going to be. Plus, superheroes and summer go together really well.

And there you have it. 10 books I'd really like to read this summer. We'll see how it goes, given my reading moods anyway. I'm sure a few TBR Jar picks will find their way in here as well.

What are you planning to read this summer? Have you read any of these books? Let's chat in the comments!