Thursday 8 May 2014

Random Recs || Sports


This week I decided to recommend a few books that have characters that play sports. This was decidedly more difficult than I'd anticipated, so there are only 2 books on the list this week. But they were both books I really enjoyed, so I feel like that makes up for it!

Books With Characters Who Play Sports


Football
Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1) by Kasie West
I feel like this counts, despite the fact that it's not our main character Addison who is playing sports. But both of the important boys in her life (one in each timeline) play football. So it wouldn't be considered a "sports book" by any means, but the sport itself ends up coming into play pretty significantly for the plot. This was also a book that really surprised me--I hadn't expected to like it as much as I did!



Rugby
Winger (Winger #1) by Andrew Smith
When I first was thinking about this theme, Winger was the book that immediately came to mind. Ryan Dean's life pretty much revolves around the rugby team (when it doesn't revolve around his hormones). The sport, culture and relationships amongst team members (and members of other teams at the school) are central to the book and its themes. It's also laugh-out-loud funny and heart-wrenching. A deadly combination.

So, what do you think? Have you read any of these books? Do you have other sports-related recommendations to make? Let's chat in the comments!