Thursday 24 April 2014

Random Recs || First Books


I've been hunting around the blogosphere for some inspiration for posts and memes that I might be able to do on a semi-regular basis. I'm really trying to get the content back up and running around these parts. I feel like I've been a little negligent.

Anyway, I found the "Recommend A..." meme by Chick Loves Lit, which sadly looks like it fell by the wayside shortly after it started. But that got me thinking that maybe I could do some random recommendations from time to time.

You know me (maybe), I love recommending books. And I love getting recommendations. One of these days (when I actually feel like I have time again) I swear I'm going to sign myself up for Epic Recs. But until then, we'll have to make due.

So this instalment's theme is:

First Book In A Series

Listen, I am a pro at reading the first book in series. Up until this year I very rarely finished series. Not because I wasn't enjoying them, but just because I sometimes have book ADD and then forgot about them.

So!


Dystopia
Wool by Hugh Howey
This one might be cheating a bit, since this is really a short story and the first 5 have been all put in a bind-up. But this part, part one, was the first introduction I had to Howey's world. It was free for Kindle a while back and it sucked me in almost immediately. Give the whole omnibus a try.

Feed by Mira Grant
I always pitch this book as "a political thriller disguised as a zombie novel". So if that intrigues you, definitely check this out. It's the first book in a trilogy and it's my favourite of the three by far. It made me do a lot of ugly crying.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman
If this book was a person, it would be the kind that kicks you in the stomach and then laughs gleefully as you struggle to breathe again. There's never a dull moment here and it's all so painfully plausible it actually does make my breath catch.



Science Fiction
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner
I had a lot of reservations about this book because of the "Titanic-in-space" parallels. But it was so worth it in the end. A slow burn romance in the midst of a survival story? Sign me up. Also, the other books in this series will be companion novels, not true sequels, so that's interesting as well.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
I've sort of strayed from this series, because I didn't think it needed a sequel. But it is part of a trilogy. Regardless of my negligence, this book is fantastic. Like all good science fiction it makes you contemplate what exactly does it mean to be human? And how far will you go for someone you love?


What do you think? Have you read any of these? Let's chat in the comments! (And, as always, hit me up with recs of your own!)