Monday 28 April 2014

Monday Mix || Even If No One Understands


So. Here we are again.

Okay, full disclosure: I have a lot of ships. And a lot of my fanmixes are odes to my favourite ships. Judge me if you want, but I have been in this game for nearly 2 decades and I am not stopping now. (One of my favourite things to say to my 8th grade students is "I have email accounts older than you". And then I have to laugh so I don't cry.)

Anyway. The second part of this full disclosure is that I have yet to read Les Miserables. I grew up with the musical, have watched the movie adaptation more times than I care to count, and have read excerpts. But never the whole thing.

That has not stopped me from doing what I do best. And that is shipping. Sorry not sorry.

So have an Enjolras/Grantaire fanmix.



(Tracklist, etc. after the cut)


The Postal Service - This Place is a Prison
(Grantaire and his self loathing)

This place is a prison
And these people aren't your friends
[...]
And I know that it's not a party if it happens every night
Pretending there's glamour and candelabra
When you're drinking by candlelight
[...]
What does it take, how long must I wait?


- - -

Bloc Party - Rhododendron
(Grantaire, finding himself lacking)

Boy, what you gonna do with your life?
[...]
Are you bigger than these buildings and the grey around you?
Is your pain more worthy than everybody else?

Drunk again in the rhododendrons


- - -

Stars - Take Me to the Riot
(Unrest in Paris)

You despise me and I love you
It's not much but it's just enough to keep...

Saturday nights in neon lights, Sunday in the cell
Pills enough to make me feel ill, cash enough to make me well
Take me, take me to the riot
And let me stay...


- - -

Bastille - Flaws
(Enjolras/Grantaire)

You have always worn your flaws upon your sleeve
And I have always buried them deep beneath the ground
Dig them up; let's finish what we've started
Dig them up, so nothing's left unturned


- - -

Editors - When Anger Shows
(They both know Enjolras won't live through the revolution)

You are a sleeping lion in your bed
I will not wake you
You're the moment
Love has passed
We all must learn to hate you
You're a memory from before
Please don't let me forget you
You're the wolves at my door


- - -

Florence + The Machine - No Light, No Light
(The fighting begins)

No light, no light in your bright blue eyes
I never knew daylight could be so violent
A revelation in the light of day
You can't choose what stays and what fades away

And I'd do anything to make you stay
No light, no light
No light
Tell me what you want me to say


- - -

The Killers - All These Things That I've Done
("Noise does not rouse a drunken man; silence awakens him.")

When there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
One more son
If you can hold on
If you can hold on, hold on


- - -

Stars - Barricade
("I am one of them.")

Trapped on the terraces, I looked at you and knew
You were the only thing that mattered
There was no one for me but you
[...]
Oh, how could anyone not want to rip it all apart?
Oh, how could anyone not love your cold, black heart?


- - -

The Calling - Stigmatized
("Do you permit it?")

If I give up on you I give up on me
If we fight what's true, will we ever be
[...]
I believe in you
Even if no one understands
I believe in you, and I don't really give a damn
If we're stigmatized
We live our lives on different sides
But we keep together you and I


- - -

Snow Patrol - The Lightning Strike
("Enjolras pressed his hand with a smile. The smile was not ended when the report sounded.")

What if this storm ends?
And I don't see you
As you are now
Ever again

The perfect halo
Of gold hair and lightning
Sets you off against
The planet's last dance