Friday 10 January 2014

Review || Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer  ★★★★☆
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

This is another book I've been struggling to review because I just really enjoyed it. I guess it's easier to be critical than it is to explain why you really liked something!

Cinder completely took me by surprise last year. I'd been putting off reading it for no good reason, but when I finally picked it up I was completely unprepared for how hooked I was going to get. At least going into Scarlet I sort of knew what I was in for. But Scarlet grabbed me twice as fast and would not let me go. I had to make myself savour the book--it would've been far too easy to all but devour it in a day.

Scarlet and Wolf were excellent additions to the cast. As with Cinder, Meyer manages to twist the original fairytale just right to suit her needs. The story of Little Red Riding hood is recognizable in Scarlet's tale, but is still different enough that you're not quite sure how everything is going to play out. There is one plot twist in particular that actually made me screech aloud. (It's times like these where I'm glad I live by myself.)

Impressively, Meyer manages to intertwine Scarlet and Cinder seamlessly and brilliantly. Both stories are cohesive and engaging and I'm really invested in both characters. Wolf was compelling and interesting as well, even though tall, dark and tortured isn't usually my thing. I even bizarrely found myself growing attached to Thorne who I was certain at the beginning I was going to detest. In the latter parts of the book I found myself amused by him and then promptly caught myself in surprise.

All in all this was a delightful read, and I am absolutely vibrating in anticipation of Cress.