Thursday 2 January 2014

Bout of Books 9.0

Bout of Books
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 6th and runs through Sunday, January 12th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 9.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

Okay, okay, I'm going to cave and actually sign up for this. I've sort of been waffling on it because school goes back in on Monday and my students are going to be crazy and I'm going to be crazy and yeah. Well. We'll see, I suppose.

I'll be using this as my sign-up/goals/updates post so check back here to see how spectacularly I'm failing at this next week! I'll do a separate wrap-up post afterwards as well.

My Goals:

  • Read 2 (of these) books (probably)
    • Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
    • Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
    • Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
    • Ash by Malinda Lo
  • Post reviews of any books read
  • Visit/comment on a few participating blogs
Find my updates for the week after the jump!


Updates:
Monday, January 6
Pages read: 134
Complete?: None
Thoughts: Currently reading Scarlet by Marissa Meyer and just loving it! Tall, dark and tortured isn't usually my thing, but wow Wolf is definitely doing it for me right now!

Tuesday, January 7
Pages read: 209
Complete?: 1! (Scarlet)
Thoughts: AH THIS BOOK. I REQUIRE CRESS IMMEDIATELY. (Real review here.)

Wednesday, January 8
Pages read: 369
Complete?: 2! (Scarlet & Hyperbole and a Half)
Thoughts: I got like 7 books in the mail today (oops!) and one of them was Allie Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half book. I didn't think I'd get much reading time in because I am literally out the door now to go to a movie, but I managed to zoom through the entirety of the book.

Thursday, January 9
Pages read: 56
Complete?: 2
Thoughts: Didn't have much time to read today... it seemed like there was always something else to do. But I started Anna Dressed in Blood and am absolutely loving it so far!

Friday, January 10
Pages read: 111
Complete?: 2
Thoughts: Continued Anna Dressed in Blood tonight. Still really enjoying it! I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow and then sneak in a library read or two before the end of this thing.

Saturday, January 11
Pages read: 149
Complete?: 3! (Scarlet, Hyperbole, Anna)
Thoughts: Finished Anna Dressed in Blood this afternoon and then didn't really do any other reading. Oops! Find my review of Anna here. I'm probably going to start The Darkest Minds or Legend tomorrow since those are from the library. (And hey, I've been good and have been reading off my bookshelf so far!)

Sunday, January 12
Pages read: 185
Complete?: 3
Thoughts: Started The Darkest Minds this afternoon and read 185 in two sittings. After the first sitting (82 pages in) I wasn't sure how I felt about the book. After the second sitting I think I'm enjoying it more and starting to get into the story. I'm having a hard time connecting with Ruby though, which is a problem since she's our narrator. Anyway, we'll see!

Overall, this was a great experience for me! I'll be posting my wrap up in the next couple of days!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, good luck with the kids! :-) And of course the reading... I'd quite like to start Marissa Meyer's series next week if possible and SRB has been on my TBR pile for a while - Demon's Covenant. I haven't quite decided on my books just yet though... This is my first read-a-thon and I'm a little disorganised as of yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a feeling I'm going to need it!

      This is my first read-a-thon too, so we'll see how everything ends up panning out. Knowing me, I'll probably read something totally different than what's on my planned list!

      Delete
  2. You're doing great so far! Hope you're liking your first read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been so much fun. I really like that I'm setting aside time to read each day. It's nice to make it a priority!

      Delete