Friday 27 December 2013

Book Haul #1


So, unsurprisingly, I managed to acquire a few books this holiday. I'm going to combine a few books I got for my birthday as well, considering that was only at the end of November. I'm also going to include the 5 books I bought myself yesterday from BookOutlet because I have no self control and also that was basically my Boxing Day shopping.

Anyway! Here are the spoils!


You can read my breakdown of these 9 books after the jump.
1. Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
I got this one for my birthday from my parents. I'm super excited to read this one because ugh, send help, I have the biggest thing for telepathy/soulmates as a relationship trope. So I'm pretty excited to give this one a go.

2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I feel like if I ever stop blogging about this book, you should make sure I'm okay. As you might have gathered from previous posts, I adored this book. It made my Top 10 of the year. This was another birthday gift, this time from my sister. She sort of feels smug about how much I love this book since she got it for me.

3. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
A gift from Santa, because Santa has the best tastes ever. (Previous interesting gifts from Santa have included Grand Theft Auto and Kick-Ass, just in case you weren't jealous already.) I've been eyeing this book for a while and I love creepy ghost stories, so I can't wait. Goodreads has also just informed me that apparently this takes place in Thunder Bay, Ontario, so I feel like that warrants some shuffling to the top of the tbr pile.

4. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
A gift from my parents, I have been dying to read this since I finished Cinder in October. I love the worldbuilding and the writing and can't wait to see Meyer's take on Little Red Riding Hood!

5. The Diviners by Libba Bray
And thus begins the gifts to myself. Okay listen, this book was like $5.25 on BookOutlet, how could I not buy it? I'm not usually big into hardcovers, but this cover is so pretty and the paperbacks are just not as beautiful and this was five dollars. I don't know what else to tell you. Though I will say that PeruseProject is entirely to blame for me wanting to read this, since she hasn't stopped talking about it.

6. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
A recent addition to my tbr pile, the premise of this just sounds so cool. I love me some dystopia and have been on a revolutionaries kick since... probably last December to be honest, but my foray into the genre for NaNoWriMo this year didn't help either. (I blame Les Miserables.)

7. Redshirts by John Scalzi
Again, no surprise, since I have frequently waxed poetic about this book. I just needed to have a copy of my own. And likely the first thing that I'll do with it once it comes in the mail is lend it to my dad. He's going to love it, I know.

8. Dead Iron by Devon Monk
This has been on my list for a while, so when I saw it for like $4 I pretty much had to buy it. Come on, steampunk and werewolves? Sign me up!

9. Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Again, another book that's been sitting patiently on my tbr list and was a steal online. And while I read a lot of paranormal/fantasy/sci-fi, I don't think I've ever cracked into the mermaid subgenre. So we'll see!

Yay books!

What did you get for the holidays? What are you most looking forward to reading? Let me know!


6 comments:

  1. AHH! You picked a ton of good books! Super jealous! Reading Fan Girl right now!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited to start reading them! Even if I seem to have a million unread books on my shelf already. And I absolutely adored Fangirl!

      Thanks for stopping by Lisa!

      Delete
  2. What a great stack! I am reading Scarlet right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to get my book buying under control, though. Too many great books to read!

      I can't wait to start Scarlet. I have a library book to finish up the week but then I think I'll be diving right in.

      Delete
  3. Got an ipad and waiting for the King by J R Ward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I'm going to try to commit more to my Kobo this new year before I even consider an iPad..!

      Delete